In case you missed it, here is Part 1. We now return you to the program, already in progress.
Within a few days, I was told that if we are indeed going to try and get to know each other better, I need to call and email Melissa also, and not just let her do all of it. Ok, that's a pretty good sign. Time to get off my ass.
And got off my ass I did. We started slowly, but very soon we were emailing every day, and talking on the phone almost every night from when I got home from work until I went to sleep. Literally hours and hours were spent getting to know each other. We talked about everything. What happened that day at work, our childhood, our families, everything. You'd think spending hours on the phone, we'd eventually run out of stuff to talk about. Didn't happen.
One day, Melissa was trying to explain the "Movie of her life", and said it would probably take an entire weekend of us alone to tell me all of it. I said I'd love to hear it and asked "Your state or mine?" After we both decided that I wasn't kidding, we started planning a stopover in
Six weeks go by. The more we talk, the closer we get. The closer we get, the more feelings I have for Melissa. I was extremely surprised at the speed at which it was happening. We often talked about the butterflies we had in our stomachs. One day I was trying to explain what kind of butterflies I had, and I sent her this in an email: "A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness." I thought I was being cute and romantic (and safe) by telling her I had butterflies of love without actually telling her that. Little did I know she made a beeline for her dictionary and figured it out with one guess. So much for being safe…
Also little did I know that she didn't feel the same for me. Butterflies yes, but of a deep, tender, ineffable blah blah blah, no. Of course, I only didn't know that for less than two weeks, because by the first of October, she was telling me she loved me too. Yay!
The weekend arrived. We decided that for obvious reasons, having Melissa stay a hotel would be pretty stupid. I was extremely nervous waiting for her at the airport. Recall, I haven't seen her since the beginning of August. It's now October. The only contact we've had was through email and countless hours on the phone. Countless hours in which I fell in love with her. I was nervous. I was excited. I kept checking the arrivals board to try and make her flight move faster.
Finally I saw her. Even more beautiful than I remembered. She began running toward me, much like people in an 80's romantic movie, along the beach in slow motion, with some slow, sexy soundtrack playing in the background. Ok, not exactly like that, because I wasn't running anywhere in slowmo or real-time, or the TSA security officers would have tackled me, ruining the weekend.
4 comments:
Ain't I a stinker?
I wasn't "running" towards him. I might have been walking briskly, but I had on high heel boots and was dragging a carry on behind me. So there was no running. - Melissa
You mean he didn't offer to take the carryon for you?
Pfft.
Typical.
-Z
It would be interesting to hear the other side of this story...."how I met your father"
Cathy
Post a Comment