Monday, August 07, 2006

The Best Birthday Present Ever - Part 1

I've had several very memorable birthdays in my 34 years, but I have to say the best birthday present I ever got was the one given to me on my 32nd birthday. Now what could be so great that it was the "best ever" you might ask. Patience butterfly, patience.

Birthday #32 was spent in Georgia with my goddaughter, her parents (who as it turns out are pretty good match makers) and a male friend of theirs, who up until an hour before our planes left did all he could to ignore me...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I went through a divorce in early 2004 that included LOTS of drama. During all that mess, I talked to Steve. Steve is like my brother. We met in January 1992 at a party at his fraternity house on the campus of the University of Arkansas. He's from New Jersey and until that birthday, the only person I knew from that state.

Steve and his wife Amy have been my friends for years and they've also lived in Georgia for several years now. Leading up to the summer of 2004, we all talked about the possibility of me going down for a visit. I decided I deserved a break and starting planning for a long weekend at their house.

Meanwhile, Steve in his role as my lay therapist, starting telling me stories of his other best friend back in Jersey who had also recently been through an ugly break up and divorce. He mentioned that a group of their friends got together and gave him a divorce party and would I mind if Steve invited him down the same weekend. I figured, what the hell, if we are his two best friends he can't be that bad. Of course, the minute I found out his name I did a Google search on him and went straight to www.tobp.com so I could see what I was getting myself into.

This is what I found. That's the guy and Steve at Steve's wedding. Nice mullet, dude.

Now, come Friday, July 30 we both arrived at the Atlanta airport. I had gone the day before and got my hair cut and a manicure and pedicure done. I wasn't looking to impress this guy, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to look my best anyway. When I found Steve he was standing with the guy, who didn't look like he was trying to impress anyone. He shook my hand and we were off to the house.

I let the two guys sit up front on the ride from the airport and they didn't shut up the whole time. They're worse than girls when these two get going! Since we got into town early, everyone decided to go to the pool for a bit. Well, we all made it poolside, but one of us sat in a chair in the corner with our MP3 player and a towel over our head. Three guesses who that was. We all figured he was tired or something. I even thought he might not like water...boy was I wrong!

The next day was my birthday. Even with the big "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" sign on the wall this poor clueless man didn't realize. Steve treated me to a tour at CNN and downtown since I'm such a newshound and hadn't been in Atlanta since 1994. His friend came too and we all got along fine, but there were only pleasantries exchanged between the two of us. We all went to eat dinner out at some point and I ended up sitting next to Steve, which I thought was odd given Amy was there. When we got seated, the guy took the seat next to Amy, forcing Steve to sit next to me.

That night we just hung out at the house and I was forced to sit through the first 45 excruciating minutes of Clerks "because it was filmed in NJ where we grew up." I gave up after watching this guy twirling one of Emily's snot monsters around his fingers while snoring. Now when I say snoring, the first night we were there I thought a bear had gotten into the house.

Sunday came and it was time to leave. Everyone came to the airport since our two flights left at relatively the same time. We took photos (see our first entry) and I figured that was that. I had a nice weekend with my friends and would probably never see or hear from this guy again. Apparently, Steve gave him a swift kick in the ass and told him to walk me to my gate. Little did any of us know what that little piece of advice would lead to.

Since his gate was first, I walked with him. For the first time all weekend he actually opened his mouth and talked to me! Over the next hour we talked about our failed marriages, what great friends Steve and Amy had been to both of us, our families, our jobs, what we wanted out of life...everything. I couldn't believe how easy our conversation flowed.

Then they called his flight and it was time to go our separate ways. He stuck out his hand and I thought "Silly Yankee," but I said, "In the South, we hug." I left him at his gate feeling I had just made a friend. I decided if I got the job I was going for in DC, I'd probably make a trip to NJ and see him. When I got home I sent my new friend Kris a note to say thanks for making the trip. Who knew then there would be several more trips, including one down the aisle!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that sounds like kris alright, but awww I love this story. I like hearing his side, then her side. Kris is a great guy and it sounds like he makes a great birthday present too!
Cathy Wells

Melissa Joy said...

I'm so sorry that those boys made you sit thru that!

Now, imagine, if you will, being in that film and your grandmother wanting to see it.

"Do your friends talk like that?"
"umm..Sometimes..."
"Do you talk like that?"

Truth or what she wants to hear...

"No, Grandma".


Yeah, I decided making grandma happy was more important.