I figured since I've been talking about my time in Honduras, I should put up some photos of the place and the people in my stories...so here goes.This is the family I lived with and that will always be a part of me. The photo was taken by my dad when he came down for my 29th birthday. Seated is Carmen (mom), Glenda (oldest and only daughter who now lives with her husband in Minnesota) and myself. Standing is Jose (oldest son), Baldemar (dad) and Samael (youngest.) Aren't they they cutest!

This is the family's house in Barrio Bella Vista. The yard was great. We had two papaya trees, a lime tree, two banana trees and a coconut tree.
This was my little apartment. The measurements were 9 feet by 14 feet and inside I had one big room, my own bathroom with a shower stall, sink and toilet and a small storage area. Glenda told me that after I left the family knocked a hole in the wall you can see and put in another window. That's a good thing, because for most of the year it would get to over 100 degrees inside there. It was built from concrete blocks and had a tin roof.
This was laundry time. I washed my clothes on a cement scrub board with water that was kept in that tank. They got dried on a line in the back yard. Laundry sucked on days when there was no water and the pila (tank) ran dry and on days when it rained and nothing would dry. Most days the worst part about the laundry was the attack of los zancudos (mosquitos.)I'll give you a tour of town on my next post and introduce you to some of my other friends and fellow Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs).
No comments:
Post a Comment